Rich in History

 

Established 1909

Footscray Swimming Club was formed in 1909 and commenced activities in the Saltwater River (now Maribyrnong River) near Hopetoun Bridge.

Many prominent Footscray businessmen, doctors and solicitors were involved in the organisation of the club. Patrons were, His Worship, the Mayor and Councillors of the City of Footscray together with 13 gentlemen. The first President was Cr W H Fielding. There were 9 Committee men and 16 Vice Presidents. The Secretary was Mr W Fawcett and the Treasurer, Mr A Pascarl. The first swimming carnival the club conducted was on March 12, 1910 in the Saltwater River.

The program consisted of handicap races, team race and novelty race. 16 clubs including Footscray competed. The main event was the Presidents handicap (for Footscray members only) over 100 yards for which the President donated a silver cup valued at 4 pounds. Admission was 6 pence for ladies and 1 shilling for gentlemen. Programmes were 3 pence each.

After 76 years based at the Buckley Street, Footscray Swim Centre, our club moved to the new Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre.